*The following instructions apply whether the FOOTBAR Walker is utilized by one or two caregivers.
1. The caregiver opens the closed walker and locks the walker into the open position. Adjust walker to correct height for the patient.
2. The caregiver places the open locked walker in front of the seated patient about even or slightly past the patient’s toes.
3. The caregiver MUST FIRST grasp the center of the top bar with one hand and then place one foot on the center of the spring-loaded FOOTBAR.
**With TWO caregivers: Caregiver A, places right hand on the top bar and right foot on the foot bar. Caregiver B places left a hand on the top bar and left a foot on the foot bar.
4. The caregiver(s) rotates the FOOTBAR backward and downward to pin the front of the walker framework to the floor or ground surface with one foot and places their other foot back to assume a comfortable stance of strength.
5. Once the caregiver(s) has the FOOTBAR Walker ﬁrmly and totally secured, the caregiver(s) instructs the patient to reach forward and grasp the top bar with both hands. One on either side of the caregiver’s hand (in the center if used with two caregivers). Patients without full use of two arms can use a combination of handholds or the strongest arm.
6. The patient pulls (while pushing with their legs) forward and upwards to a standing position.
NOTE: As the patient is moving from a seated to a standing position, the caregiver’s bodyweight combines with their pulling force. This allows the caregiver and the patient to oppose each other, resulting in the patient standing with greater ease and comfort than being pulled, without consideration of the patient’s pain or weakness.
7. Once the patient is established in the standing position, the caregiver instructs the patient to remove one hand at a time from the top bar and grasp the top of the walker’s framework on the left and right sides.
8. After the caregiver determines that the patient is stable and ready to walk, the caregiver SLOWLY allows the spring-loaded FOOTBAR to move back to the retracted position.
NOTE: Caregiver UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES removes hand grasp from the top bar until FOOTBAR is secured and in an upright position.
9. The caregiver releases their hand grasp of the top bar and steps away from the walker and the patient.
10. With the caregiver’s supervision, the patient is able to walk on their own utilizing the FOOTBAR Walker with the Standing Aid Accessory permanently attached.
11. At such time the patient wishes to be seated, the caregiver allows the patient to back up to a chair or bed. STEPS 3-5 of the above instructions are to be repeated by the caregiver. The patient then slowly lowers into a seated position while holding the top bar.
12. Once the patient is safely seated, the caregiver(s) ﬁrst, slowly releases the foot bar. Second, the caregiver releases the grasp of the top bar and ﬁnally, moves the FOOTBAR® Walker away from the patient.